Sunday, January 24, 2010

Rotterdam Global Urban Summit

Before Cop15, I had made a last minute decision to go to Rotterdamn's Global Urban Summit. It was a two day conference for urban planning enthusiasts from over the world; the purpose of the conference was to co-create 'New Green Deals'. The idea of New Green Deals is a timely evolution from Roosevelts 'New Deal'; hoping to push the green agenda in cities forward, create new jobs, and plan more efficient urban environments. About half of the world's population lives in urban areas, meaning there is a huge potential for cities to be thriving sustainable hubs of human existence.

To close the conference, Jeremy Rifkin who is the President of the Foundation on Economic Trends (sounds snoozy but he is amazing) gave a spectacular speech on the communication energy revolution (also sounds iffy but its intriguing). Please pop some popcorn and watch the speech on youtube. You won't be sorry; you will laugh, you will cry, and you will get goosebumps at least 5 times.

One super rad green deal was made: VEIL, an Eco Innovation Lab based in Australia would cooperate with Rotterdam to create a new VEIL (they would most likely call it REIL for Rotterdam). In the photo below you can see I agreed to help co-create more New Green Deals. My siggy is on the lower right above 'world'!

I think I heard correctly that Rotterdam commissions graffiti art throughout the city. I could be wrong on the details, but here is a lovely piece I saw.


Rotterdam also has initiatives in place for utilizing unused storefronts for public art. This concept is flying through cities worldwide. If any city officials need help with this, INDO wants to join the ride.

One night of the conference, we enjoyed a boat tour of the very organized Rotterdam ports. These two lovely ladies sang the menu to us for each course. The whole trip was amazing, we ate well, slept well, I didn't lose my wallet, and to think I almost didn't go! However, they did serve veal which was odd for a conference focused on sustainability.


We stayed the night in Amsterdam and it was beautiful!

I got to see the red-light district.

One thing I loved was this shop that sold just cheese.

These amazing vending machines in Amsterdam are each little microwaves; you pop in money, and out pops a corn dog or pizza pocket.

I did my BFA thesis on public bicycle programs; so I was ecstatic to see the yellow bikes in action around Amsterdam! So far Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Karlskrona and Copenhagen and 50% more bicycle friendly than my hometown Chicago. We have got some work to do!

I recommend seeing these cities. I wish Josh could have been with me for this little trip. Rotterdam is super cool, filled with innovation and a big arts scene. Amsterdam is just breathtaking.

2 comments:

  1. oh my! i didn't know you were going to amsterdam!!! did you get to try a Maoz falafel??? i was obsessed with those when i was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i rented a bike from that "yellow bike" place!!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers